156+ Errors Documented, Explained and Resolved
Purpose and method
This editorial review, a report of 32 pages, gives the Danish Foreign Ministry all the tools it needs to quickly fix 156+ errors on its website. Our review has documented a wide range of errors, many of which are systemic in the sense that they are repeated. Webmasters and others with an interest in website quality may find it useful as a checklist and an educational tool.
During the first stage of our review, all errors on each web page were highlighted. Every paragraph containing one or more errors was transferred to become the first row of a separate table. A second row was added, consisting of two columns: One column with our “Editorial comments,” the other column with our “Proposed revisions.” By using this systematic approach, we have enabled the Danish Foreign Ministry to easily get an overview of each and all of the errors, to pinpoint these errors on its website, to understand what type of error has been made in each instance, and to fix each and every error simply by implementing our suggested revisions.
Errors, impact and remedies
During our in-depth review of the Danish Foreign Ministry’s website, we came across 156+ errors, including:
- 50 punctuation errors:
- insufficient punctuation
- incorrectly placed punctuation
- wrong type of punctuation
- redundant punctuation.
The punctuation errors on the Danish Foreign Ministry’s website make numerous sentences difficult to read. They also prevent a good flow, overall.
- 7 spelling errors:
- misspelled words or phrases
- inconsistent and/or incorrect capitalization
- insufficient or redundant hyphenation.
The spelling errors on the Danish Foreign Ministry’s website are unfortunate and may confuse the reader.
- 36 grammatical errors:
- Unsound sentence structure
- Incomplete sentences.
The grammatical errors on the Danish Foreign Ministry’s website make numerous sentences difficult to read, and a few are incomprehensible.
- 4 content errors:
- insufficient information
- outdated information.
Since certain information on the Danish Foreign Ministry’s website is insufficient or outdated, some visitors will not find what they are looking for.
- 39 wording issues:
- incorrect words or phrases
- unsuitable words or phrases (vague or awkward-sounding)
- inconsistent wording.
Improper wording on the Danish Foreign Ministry’s website reduces its effectiveness as a communication interface, especially where we come across what reads like poorly translated material.
Each of these errors reduce the readability of the Danish Foreign Ministry’s website. Cumulatively, the 156+ errors make the website significantly less polished and useful to visitors than it could and should be. It then becomes imperative – as a matter of orderliness, self-interest and professionalism – to remove these obstacles.
By implementing our 144 proposed revisions, the Danish Foreign Ministry will be able to clean up its website quickly, easily and economically.
This editorial review is confined to the “Foreign Policy” section of the English-language version of the Danish Foreign Ministry’s website. 15 web pages were reviewed, as follows:
- Foreign Policy (https://um.dk/en/foreign-policy/)
- African-Nordic Foreign Ministers’ Meeting (https://um.dk/en/foreign-policy/african-nordic-meeting/)
- P4G – Partnering for Green Growth and the Global Goals 2030 (https://um.dk/en/foreign-policy/p4g—partnering-for-green-growth-and-the-global-goals-2030/)
- Ukraine Reform Conference in Copenhagen (https://um.dk/en/foreign-policy/ukraine-reform)
- The Danish chairmanship of the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe 2017-2018 (https://um.dk/en/foreign-policy/the-danish-chairmanship-of-the-committee-of-ministers-of-the-council-of-europe-2017-2018/)
- The Nordic and Nordic-Baltic cooperation (https://um.dk/en/foreign-policy/nordic-baltic-cooperation/)
- Baltic Sea Cooperation (https://um.dk/en/foreign-policy/baltic-sea-cooperation/)
- Counter-Piracy (https://um.dk/en/foreign-policy/piracy/)
- The Arctic (https://um.dk/en/foreign-policy/the-arctic/)
- Denmark in the EU (https://um.dk/en/foreign-policy/denmark-in-the-eu/)
- International trade policy (https://um.dk/en/foreign-policy/international-trade-policy/)
- Greenland and The Faroe Islands (https://um.dk/en/foreign-policy/greenland-and-the-faroe-islands/)
- Danish Defence and Diplomacy in Times of Change (https://um.dk/en/foreign-policy/danish-defence-and-diplomacy-in-times-of-change/)
- Office of the Special Representative for Freedom of Religion or Belief (https://um.dk/en/foreign-policy/office-of-the-special-representative-for-freedom-of-religions-or-belief/)
- Future Foreign Service (https://um.dk/en/foreign-policy/future-foreign-service/)